MOVE.

I have to remind myself that some people, just like some actions, are strictly a habit.

I wake up each morning and walk through the same routine. Even the weekends find me doing the same early morning routine. I may do things a bit slower, and a bit later, but the routine is generally the same. I think about this because that routine is hard to change. It is ingrained in me now. It's part of me. Can I change it? Sure. But it would take time and patience and self discipline.

I think about how this relates to my life, my relationships, my friendships. And there are points along the road in my life where I realized that some people in my life are just there out of habit, either theirs or mine or both. Some of those habits developed quickly, some slowly. But the way I interact with them are habits as well. The way I treat them, the way I think about them. The associations I have placed on them. The excuses I make for them. The expectations I have for them. Even the conversations I have with them, are habits.

Habits. Born from routine.

The excuses I make in my life, why I can't do certain things, why I don't have time for this or that. Why I think about certain things, the way I feel about places, people, memories,,,, those are all conditioned. These are all habits. Even the bad habits that no longer serve me are still familiar. And that familiarity becomes a type of base camp so to speak. I may try to break away and  change my ways but it is much too easy to come back to base camp.  It is easy to stay there because even when we hate the way we feel, the way we've become, the fact that we feel stuck in a rut or in a lifestyle we aren't happy with, familiarity and habit are still a type of security. Even a blanket you're being smothered with can feel warm and welcome for a short while.

It is time to break chains. It is time to pull up anchors and let go. I know you've heard it, those cliche's that make sense but also sound like broken records. I know  change is hard. And I know letting go is much harder. We are afraid we will never have something again if we let go of something else. We tell our friends and loved ones to "take the risk", "put yourself out there", "I believe in you. And I KNOW you can do this." But yet, we have a hard time believing it when someone tells us that as well. We want a safety net, a base camp, a secure place to fall or even the security that we won't fall at all.

But we are all dying. Some today, some later on. Live now. The passage of this day will be gone in an instant and most of us have done nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Don't just express love to people. Express value. Tell them why you choose to keep them in your life, besides the habit of it. And more importantly, let go of the ones that bring nothing to your table. Pack your things, pull up the anchor and get moving. 

And when God tells you cut loose, whether that is about friendships, jobs, or location,  stop asking Him if you heard Him right.

Comments

Popular Posts